The Ramiro Community Hospital evolved from the frontier practice of Dr. Luther Z. Ramiro who first came to Bohol in 1954 from his native Cagayan de Oro. He joined the Graham Memorial Hospital as a resident physician honing his God-given gift of service in treating the sick. When the Memorial Hospital folded in 1959, he joined the practice of Dr. Nelson D. Rio who later founded the Bohol Medical Center (BMC) in 1960 at the Maceren Building along Gallares Street.
In 1971, Dr. Luther and his wife, Dinah Lumain-Ramiro, took over the reins of BMC. Mrs. Ramiro had to give up her teaching career to work full time in the hospital. Mrs. Ramiro later specialized in hospital administration and took up several courses which included personnel management, finance & accounting, medical records management, waste management & housekeeping.
In February 15, 1975, at the behest of his increasing patient base, Dr. Luther & Dinah Ramiro, decided to open their own facility and founded the Ramiro Clinic & Community Hospital. The 10-bed hospital was built upon the ancestral Lumain House on Zamora Street. As more patients flocked to the center, Mrs. Ramiro, under the tutelage of the University of the Philippines-Institute of Small Scale Industries (UP-ISSI), authored a feasibility study on an expansion project which they implemented a year later.
In 1976, the 50-bed Ramiro Community Hospital opened along Gallares Street. The iconic building with distinct art deco features was designed by Architect Gesite. By the early 1980s, several of the Ramiro children completed their studies and soon joined the family business.
In the 1990s, RCH continued to be at the forefront of local healthcare delivery introducing the concept of private clinical practice to local practitioner and patients. New specialty services were introduced in the four major medical fields, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics-Gynecology & Surgery. The Cardiology Unit was soon established lead by the province’s first heart specialist.
Keeping up with its mission and vision, the Hospital once again embarked on another expansion project to address the burgeoning needs of its patient base. In 2002, two wings were added on to the existing building expanding its service capability and increasing the authorized bed capacity to 100. This was driven by the vision of Dr. Luther’s eldest son, Dr. Ronald Ramiro, to unburden patients who used to travel outside the province for specialized care.
The family’s pre-war ancestral house and residence were both demolished to accommodate the expansion. The hospital has always been driven by a culture of service, relinquishing personal gain at bequeathing it back to the hospital for service delivery and improvement.
We have undergone a lot of changes and overcome numerous setbacks. Where we are today, we give due credit to the Almighty and to the physicians, personnel and staff who dedicated the fruitful part of their lives in the firm commitment to the Ministry of Healing.
Luther Z. Ramiro Medical Center, Inc. is the parent company that owns & operates Ramiro Community Hospital and is primarily governed by the Board of Directors. The Board ensures RCH is organized, and at all times operated, consistent with its mission, vision and core values. The Board since its inception was led by RCH’s founder, Dr. Luther Z. Ramiro until his passing in October 2016.
Today, the Board is headed by Dr. Audrey L. Ramiro, successor and 4th child of the founder, as Chairperson. Three of the third-generation Ramiros now join the board as Directors as well. Mrs. Dinah L. Ramiro, the remaining founder, sits on as Chairperson Emeritus
We provide with dedication & Christian concern the highest standard of care through the Ministry of Healing.
The premier provider of leading-edge quality healthcare in Bohol and beyond.
- Faithful Stewardship
- Service-driven Organization
- Excellence in Patient Care
- Principle-centered Leadership
- Conducive Healing Environment
152 total views, 6 views today